With the marketing world constantly abuzz with new technologies, services, and customer demands, many potential entrants may balk at the prospect of entering such a busy environment. However, such things do not deter Jennifer Osborne, the CEO of Search Engine People (SEP) & Lazaridis MBA Alumna, as she leads her rapidly growing company onto the world stage. Returning to Laurier for a talk on how to handle fast-growing companies in early stages, Osborne outlined 10 useful tips (the full article featured in the Globe & Mail can be found HERE).
1. Growing 3,000 per cent in 10 years isn’t a straight crescendo
2. The strength of your relationships will see you through the growing pains
3. The buck stops here – make people accountable!
4. Hire key roles early, and don’t cheap out.
5. Get rid of bad apples early.
6. Get people working to their strengths.
7. Look to people who’ve done it before.
8. Work-life balance is essential.
9. People are not staying at one company for long – expect it!
10. Technology is a core strategy.
Osborne’s leadership abilities were instrumental in bringing SEP to the Top 10 of the PROFIT 500’s list of emerging Canadian companies, while actively helping to decrease the wide gender gap commonly seen in the tech industry. We look forward to hearing more from Jennifer in the coming years!